Positions and Reports
COBA members are important investors in UK content and jobs in the broadcasting sector and are growing that investment steadily and strongly. To help sustain this growth, and maintain the UK’s position as a leading European hub, it is vital to consider the impact of any changes to legislation or regulation to this part of the broadcasting sector, as well as to incentivise further investment where appropriate .
COBA believes that the UK should strive for an environment where:
- Public policy incentivises all broadcasters to invest in the widest range of content and services;
- Fair and open competition exists;
- Where appropriate, there is a light-touch regulatory regime that benefits the whole of the broadcasting market;
- The Country of Origin principle is upheld and supported so that broadcasters can continue to base their pan-EU operations in the UK;
- A robust but flexible IP regime exists to facilitate investment and growth.
Most Recent Papers
Signalling how the UK television industry has become a truly “mixed ecology” of different players, investment in the creation of home-grown television programmes by multichannel broadcasters has hit £1.1 billion a year, according to a new report from industry body the Commercial Broadcasters Association (COBA). The watershed moment is the first time annual investment in […]